What to do with your Name Change Document

Deed poll and Statutory Declaration Change Name Documents online for £10

What to do with your Name Change Document

Once your name change document has been either witnessed or sworn under oath, it is now an official UK Government recognised legally binding document. The document is actually just your evidence of your change of name.

You will need to get in touch with all of the organisations that record your personal details such as Inland Revenue, Ministry of Defence, your employer, the DVLA, home utility companies, your bank, credit and loan companies, your landlord etc. and tell them about your change of name.

Some organisations will accept a copy of your name change document, but others will require to see the original or a certified copy, and make their own copy. This is why it is a good idea to make several copies on the day you officially change your name.

You must take your name change document with you any time you need to prove your identity such as when applying for a passport or opening new a bank account.

If you are selling your house at some point in the future you may need to show the documents if the property deeds are in your old name. You can write to the land registry and request they change to your new name.