Surname Changes by Deed Poll

Deed poll and Statutory Declaration Change Name Documents online for £10

How do I change my Surname by Deed Poll?

Once you have decided to change your surname you will need to obtain a legally worded name change document known as a Deed Poll. This website allows you to create and download an officially recognised Deed Poll document that can be used as evidence to prove your new surname.

If you are changing your surname to make it in to a double barreled surname, for example to add an additional surname after marriage rather than adopting your partner's surname as is, this is the same as any other surname change. If the double barreled name you require is not recorded on your marriage certificate then you may well need a change of name document to prove your new double barreled surname.

You must first fill in our online name change application form with your personal details including your change of name. Even if you are just making a change to your surname it is important that you fill in the full name you wish to be known as, including first and any middle names as well as your new surname.

You will then need to make your payment by PayPal. You will be directed to the payment screen once the form is processed. The cost of each Deed Poll name change document is £10. As soon as your payment is confirmed you will be directed back to this website to download your new Deed Poll document. It is a good idea to print several copies of your Deed Poll document for future use.

Your Deed Poll document must now be authorised by signing and dating in the presence of two witnesses, who should not be family members, who must then sign the document to show they have witnessed it. Your Deed Poll document is now an officially recognised proof of your new surname. Make sure you date and sign and have witnessed all of your printed copies for use in the future.

You must now use the document to inform all of the UK Government agencies and other organisations and companies who hold your personal records to inform them of your change of name.

Changing your name after marriage or divorce »
The full Deed Poll name change process »
Begin your name change application »