Surname Changes by Statutory Declaration

Deed poll and Statutory Declaration Change Name Documents online for £10

How do I change my Surname by Statutory Declaration?

Once you have decided to change your surname you will need to obtain a legally worded name change document known as a Statutory Declaration. This website allows you to create and download an officially recognised Statutory Declaration document that you can be used to prove your new surname.

If you are changing your surname to make it in to a new double barreled surname, for example to add an additional surname after marriage rather than adopting your husband's surname as is, this is the same as any other surname change. If your correct double barreled name is not shown on your marriage certificate you may well need a change of name document to prove your new double barreled surname.

You must first fill in our online name change application form with your personal details including your full old and new names. Even if you are just making a change to your surname you must still fill in your full old name and the full name you wish to be known as, including first and any middle names as well as your new surname.

You must then make your payment using PayPal. The cost of each Statutory Declaration name change document is £10. You will be automatically directed to make your payment. As soon as your payment is confirmed you will be directed back to this website to download your new Statutory Declaration document.

Your Statutory Declaration document must now be taken to a solicitors office in order to swear an oath on the document. There will be a small charge to do this of £5. The solicitor will then add their official company stamp to your Statutory Declaration document. Your name change Statutory Declaration document is now legally authorised and is the evidence of your new name. It is a good idea to ask the solicitor for several certified copies for future use.

You must now use your Statutory Declaration document to inform all of the UK Government agencies and other organisations and companies who hold your personal records to inform them of your change of name.

Changing your name after marriage or divorce »
The full Statutory Declaration name change process »
Begin your name change application »